It is a small town on the left bank of the Neretva River, 12 kilometres upstream of the river's mouth. The main economic activities are agriculture, fruit growing (southern fruits: mandarin oranges, figs and others), fruit and vegetable processing and fishing in the Neretva River, its channels and lakes in the delta. It is positioned on the rail line and crossroads of the Split-Dubrovnik highway (M2, E65) and roads for Metković and Mostar (M17.03, E75). In the Middle Ages, it was called Posrednica. In the 14th century, it was part of the Dubrovnik Republic (burnt down in 1472); from the end of the 15th century, the Kos fortress stood here. In 1685, the Venetians erected their own fortress (Fort Opus) in the same spot.
Opuzen is a frequent excursion destination for those staying on the Adriatic coast, as well as for sport fishermen. The fishing conditions on the Neretva and in its channels and the lakes in the delta are excellent. The town is also well known for the quality of its fruit, in particular mandarin oranges and kiwi fruit. Local delicacies are offered in Opuzen restaurants (freshwater eels, etc.).
Opuzen Tourist Board
Tel: +385 (0) 20 671651
Fax: +385 (0) 20 671620