The municipality of Blato has about 4000 residents, while the town itself can be reached via the main island road from Smokvica. It passes through the forested sections of the centre of Korčula.
The town was built in the form of an amphitheatre on several hills surrounding a small central valley. A long alley of linden trees called Zlinja stretches through the valley, and in recent times, all the public buildings have been constructed here: the school, hotel, banks, shops, the municipal buildings, health clinics and others.
In the old centre south of Zlinja, the triple nave parish Church of All Saints is located on the large tiled square. This church, first mentioned in the early middle ages, was repurposed and adapted several times, with its bell tower design dating to the Baroque period somewhere between the 17th and 18th century. The main altar bears a painting by the Venetian master Girolama Da Santa Croce: the All Saints from 1540. The Chapel of St. Vincenza the martyr, with its richly ornamented marble altar, holy water basin and liturgical silver ornaments was added to the southern nave in the 18th century.
The feast of this saint is celebrated on 28 April, which is also when the municipality of Blato celebrates its day. A great procession passes through the entire town, and a ceremonial gathering (Kumpanija) is held on the main square before the church. The building next to the church contains a valuable collection of art, precious documents and archaeological finds tied to the history of Blato.
There are a great number of small churches and chapels in the town and the surrounding settlements. The oldest is St. Kuzma and Damjan from the 6th century, followed by St. Mary of the Fields, St. Martin and others. The Korčula nobility also built their castles and villas here, one example being the Arneri summer residence in the middle of the town, made in the baroque style. The villa has been planned to house a local museum with archaeological, historical and ethnological collections. Today the residents of Blato are more involved in tourism and other economic branches, while there are several small industries: Radež and Triklop.
The Knight's Association Kumpanija is very active, and the association, along with the fencing association of the same name, nurture the town's folklore, songs and culture. The cultural-artistic society "Petar Mila"t also helps keep the musical and folklore traditions alive.
The paved road towards the north coast passes by both the old and new graveyard and takes you to the Prigradica harbour, where there is a hotel, several summer residences and small bed and breakfasts along the seashore, with beautiful beaches nearby. Blato is the hometown to a number of modern Croatian artists, cultural participants, scientists, musicians and more. Mary of the Risen Christ Petković, a servant of God, was born in Blato in 1892. On 6 June 2003, Pope John Paul II beatified her at a ceremony in Dubrovnik.
Blato Tourist Board
Trg dr. F. Tuđmana 4
Tel: +385 (0) 20 851850
Fax: +385 (0) 20 851241