Šipan is the largest island in the Elaphite archipelago, and is situated 17 kilometres from Dubrovnik. It is separated from the mainland by the Koločep Channel; 16.5 km2 (9.1 km long, 2.6 km wide). Between two limestone ridges, the taller (Velji Point, 243 m) on the northeast and the lower on the southwest, there is a valley where olives, prunes, vineyards, carob, almonds, oranges, and citrus fruits are grown. Tourism has a special place on the island. The sunken portions of the valley extend to the northwest to create the Šipanska Luka (Port of Šipan) inlet and to the southeast to create the inlet of Suđurađ. On the southeast extension of the tallest ridges is the small island of Ruda.
The main towns are Šipanska Luka (Luka) and Suđurađ. The island has ferry line connections to Dubrovnik. The island was first mentioned by its current name in 1371. The remains of Roman villas have been discovered in Šipanska Luka. There are numerous architectural monuments from the Middle Ages: the remains of Church of St. Peter on Velji Point (11th century), the Church of St. Ivan with its frescos (11th century, expanded in the 15th century) in Silova Sela, and the pre-Romantic Church of St. Michael (Mihovil) from the 11th century, a Romantic-Gothic house, a Gothic tower, and the Renaissance Church of the Holy Spirit from 1569, all built as part of the Benedictine monastery in Pakljena. During the 15th century on Šipan, summer homes were built by government officials in Dubrovnik.
At Šipanska Luka, there is the late Gothic Church of St. Stephan with a painting of Pantaleone (second half of the 15th century), and the Sorkočević family summer home stands out in particular (15th century). In the 15th century, a Gothic Rector's Palace was constructed above Šipanska Luka, bearing bifora on its facade (an inscription from 1450 is written above the Gothic courtyard gates).
Dubrovnik Tourist Board
Tel: +385 (0) 20 312011
Fax: +385 (0) 20 323725