Vela Luka is the largest town on the island numbering 5000 inhabitants in the municipalityand being located 42 kilometres from the town of Korčula. It is the final destination on the highway that runs across the island. The town developed at the end of the 19th century in a deep, protected inlet.
Alongside residential homes, there are also several hotels and the Kalos rehabilitation centre for rheumatic diseases. The citizens work in agriculture, fishing, and tourism, although many are employed at the shipyard "Greben", the fish factory "Jadranka" and other smaller industrial and economic production facilities. The cultural centre is located in the renovated Baroque building, and the old Kaštel villa is the site of a valuable archaeological collection gathered from the well known Neolithic site Vela Špilja.
Alongside these historic pieces, there is also a collection of modern art: paintings, graphics and sculptures created by local and international artists donated to Vela Luka in the 1970s. In the large private exhibition in the Anka Prizmić Sege Gallery, opened in 1983, there are numerous sculptures and paintings by this local artist. The parish Church of St. Ivan is a classical construction completed in 1848.
Displayed at the Church are the Stations of the Cross, 15 smaller reliefs made by Anka Prizmić. The Chapel of St. Vincent from 1589 was constructed in phases; there is a bust of Don Ivo Oreb, a priest that encouraged the cultural development of this town during the 20th century, the work of Anka Prizmić. On top of the chapel, there is a bronze Pieta by the same artist.
The Hum cultural artist society nurtures music and folklore, as well as choir singing. There are numerous a capella singing groups (klapa) in the town; the best known are Ošjak and Greben which have international renown. There are numerous coves perfect for swimming near Vela Luka, with the forested islet Ošjak being especially appealing.
Vela Luka Tourist Board
Obala 3 br.19
20270 Vela Luka
Tel/Fax: +385 (0) 20 813619