This village of about 400 residents is accessible by the paved road from Korčula, which stretches along the seashore towards the west, passing by the following bays: Medvidnjak, Žrnovska Banja, Vrbovica and Kneža, where beaches, campgrounds and vacation homes are located. In Kneža, formerly a small fishing village, traces of Roman mosaics have been found, while remnants of Roman structures were found at Banja.
At the end of a 12 kilometre-long road, in a large sheltered bay, lies Račišće, a village founded in the 17th century when refugees, fleeing from the Turks in Herzegovina and the Makarska coastal region arrived. In the past, its inhabitants were primarily fishermen, farmers, livestock breeders and sailors. Today, they are mostly sailors.
The Church of the Mother of God is from 1682, and a small loggia stands before it. Today's parish Church of St. Nicholas was built at the end of the 19th century.
Korčula Tourist Board
Obala dr. F. Tuđmana 4
Tel: +385 (0) 20 715867
Fax: +385 (0) 20 715866